Education creates opportunities.
Opportunities create freedom.
90% of your monthly sponsorship covers everything students need to continue their academic study and break the cycle of poverty and exploitation. The remaining 10% goes to our Resource Centers in Thailand to offer classes, counseling, and more.
$45/month – Elementary School Sponsorships
$60/month – High School & Vocational Sponsorships
About our scholarship program
Rather than focusing on rescue and rehabilitation, we keep Thai children from being trafficked in the first place. By providing scholarships and resources to the children we serve, we help them stay in school, complete their education in safety, and go on to lead free and happy lives.
Thanks to donors like you, we have awarded over 200 scholarships to at-risk Thai students as well as provided resources, mentors, and counselors. We’re also proud to boast that our students have a 93% graduation rate, compared to the regional average of 57%.
Thailand is a microcosm of the human trafficking epidemic. Many of its estimated 425,500 trafficking victims are forced laborers in the fish, garment, or shrimp industries. Many other Thais are exploited in the commercial sex industry. While technically illegal in Thailand, the sale of sex happens openly, and it’s estimated that up to 60,000 children take part in the Thai commercial sex trade every year. The average age of these children is between 12 and 20 years old, and the majority of them come from the less-developed regions of Northern Thailand.
Northern Thailand has the nation’s highest percentage of those who have never attended school: 9.9%. It also has the lowest average number of years of schooling: 7.31 years for boys and 6.56 years for girls, both of which fall under the already-low compulsory level of 9th grade. Dismal education rates often coincide with supply sites for sex traffickers.
Interested in supporting our scholarship program? The Freedom Story commits fully to each scholarship student to support them for as far in their education as they are able to go, all the way to University. This means that when a sponsor may drop a student or miss a month, we pull from our General fund to supplement. 100% of your gift is allocated to our scholarship program to fill in these gaps.